Eimer 1206, BHM 1328.
58mm. Silver. By W.Wyon.
Obverse with bust of Telford, reverse showing view of the Menai suspension bridge. Silver band on edge inscribed 'Peter Barlow Jnr - MDCCCXXXVII'.
Frosted mint state and encased within glass lunettes. Rare.
Peter William Barlow (1809-1885) was an English civil engineer, particularly associated with railways, bridges (he designed the first Lambeth Bridge a crossing of the River Thames in London), the design of tunnels and the development of tunnelling techniques. In 1864 he patented a design for a cylindrical tunnelling shield and obtained a provisional patent in 1868 for an improved design. He was the son of an engineer and mathematician, professor Peter Barlow. He became a pupil of the civil engineer, Henry Robinson Palmer whom was a founder member of the Institution of Civil Engineers – of which Barlow became an Associate Member in 1826. Under Palmer, Barlow worked on the Liverpool and Birmingham Canal and the new London Docks. He died at 56 Lansdowne Road, Notting Hill, and is buried in the Kensal Green Cemetery, London. At the time of his death he was the oldest member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.