University of Glasgow, William Macewen Medal. Obverse with bust of William Macewen, reverse with 8 line legend. Edge named 'Douglas Jamieson, B. Sc. 1942'.
About As struck and rare. Housed in blue fitted case of issue by Alexander Scott Ltd, Jewellers, 109 Buchanan street, Glasgow.
Ex DNW 07/12/2015 (lot 558).
Douglas Jamieson, FRFPS, MRCP, surgeon, qualified on 29 October 1942 and set up in practice at 8 West Edith street, Darvel, 1943. By 1951 he was working at the Dept of Public Health in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. The Macewen Medal, awarded annually on the recommendation of the Faculty of Medicine to the student obtaining the highest aggregate mark in Surgery in the final degree examinations, was instituted in 1926 to honour Sir William Macewen (1848-1924), Regius Professor of Surgery at the University from 1892 until his death.